Micah 6:8

"...do justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God." - Micah 6:8

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Micah 6:8


"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." -- Micah 6:8

If Christ followers in America really acted justly:
  • The quality of a child's education wouldn't depend on their neighborhood or their race.
  • Access to good medical care wouldn't be reserved for the privileged.
  • We wouldn't trade the life and health of workers for low prices.
  • There wouldn't be such enormous and growing gaps between the rich and the poor.
  • Our churches wouldn't have better buildings than our homeless shelters & orphanages.
  • We wouldn't consider American lives more valuable than others.
If Christ followers in America really loved mercy:
  • We wouldn't incarcerate the highest percentage of our people of any nation in the world.
  • The Department of Corrections would actually be about correction, not just punishment.
  • We would join most of the rest of the developed world and get rid of the death penalty.
  • We'd love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us.
  • We'd return good for evil.
And if I walked humbly with my God, I'd stop blaming everyone else for all these problems. I'd stop complaining about the speck in my neighbor's eye, and start dealing with the plank in my own.

This is what the Lord requires of me: To act justly and love mercy and walk humbly with my God. -- Micah 6:8

No comments: