Micah 6:8

"...do justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God." - Micah 6:8

Monday, October 15, 2007

Follow-up on last post

After reading a comment on my last post, I felt the need to clarify something. Though I didn't know Marilyn Bethell personally, I have heard from others what a great lady she was. I know the terrible circumstances of her death has caused untold pain in the lives of so many people who loved her. She was an attender at Community Christian Church where I also attend, and so many people there are heartbroken. If my post about Gareng has caused anyone extra heartache I sincerely apologize for that. It was never my intention to suggest in any way that Gareng should not be held acccountable for any and all crimes he has committed. I'm glad he is off the streets. I'm just so sad for everyone -- for Marilyn's friends and family, and for Gareng and his friends and family. I wish we had done something to stop it. I wish Gareng was still the smiling boy in the picture. I wish Marilyn was still here with her friends and family.

And though I understand the anger of the person who posted a comment on my last post, the reality is that Gareng was born in hell. The hell of war-torn, poverty stricken Sudan. And he has spent most of his life rotting from what happened to him there. That's certainly no excuse for murder. I'm not saying that at all. I'm just mourning the loss of the little boy, Gareng, who died somewhere along the way too.

I'm so very sorry for all who loved and cherished Marilyn. I pray God's comfort, peace, and healing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you. I still cannot agree with you on mourning the loss of the little boy Gareng though. Perhaps it's because the pain of losing Mari is still too raw. Just typing this makes the tears well up in my eyes. Perhaps I'm not "christian" enough because as of now I cannot forgive him for what he did. I don't know.

All I know is that I want Mari back and I want her back now. Right now. Right here with me. I miss her so much.

Desiree Guzman said...

Deborah,

I'm glad you wrote back. It really wasn't my intention to hurt you with my blog. I am deeply sorry for your loss. My Mom's dear friend was murdered a few years ago. It is such a devastating kind of loss. I don't think any human is strong enough to forgive something like that on their own. I do hope, that over time, God will be able to relieve you of the anger and pain that's so strong right now. Not that you will ever forget Marilyn, but that you'll be able to find some peace. Even though we don't see everything from the same perspective, I hope you can believe me when I say that I am sincerely sorry.