Micah 6:8

"...do justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God." - Micah 6:8

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Thank you to my small group


This sunday it will be seven years since my first date with my husband, and I owe a big thank you to my original CCC small group for making that possible. And an especially big thank you to Julie Girdwood (Youngs at the time) for inviting Rick to the group. You never know what one invitation might lead to. I don't mean to boast, but I'd say that some pretty cool things have happened for God's kingdom because of that invitation.



This small group is also how Rick and I first got connected with World Relief and refugee issues. Our group put a welcome kit together for a new refugee family back in December of 2000. Rick and I, along with Bill & Rachel Carroll , went to the airport to meet this new family. Anyone who knows us well knows that this family, The Diallos from Mauritania, Africa, literally changed the whole course of our future. Seven years later we have our own small non-profit organization working to make the lives of refugee families better. I never could have imagined all this back in the summer of 2000 when our small group was starting. I am so thankful for all the people who were a part of that original small group. Thanks guys!

(Sorry for the quality. Nobody had digital cameras in 2000)












4 comments:

Tanya said...

That's awesome Des - I totally remember all that. I will say it's probably better that that last pic isn't great quality - not the best photogenic moment for some of us:)

The Carroll Family said...

What are you saying Tanya?! (j/k)
Is it bad that there are 2 people in that picture whose names I can't remember. Ugh- am I getting old?
Desire-I'm so happy for you & Rick. You guys make a great team!

Tanya said...

lol-I thought that too Bill! I was like "who are those two people?"

The Carroll Family said...

Ha! You assume that the carroll family post was Bill but was it?? Now I can write messages and pin it all on him. hmmmm....
but seriously, i was telling him in the car about the picture and about the 2 people who I had no idea who they were. I decribed what they looked like and he had no idea either. Does anyone know?
-rachel