Micah 6:8

"...do justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God." - Micah 6:8

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Good but not Safe

This is a picture of an adolescent male lion that I saw in Masai Mara National Park in Kenya. He was with a pride of about ten lions who had just taken down a zebra by the side of the road. We watched through the open windows of our safari bus, until he nocticed us and moved in close. Then we got quiet, backed away and closed the windows. Just like C.S. Lewis' Aslan, this lion was good, but not safe. I love that line! Last year my Mom gave me an Aslan necklace for Christmas. (The Narnia movie produced a lot of commercial merchandise, but I like this necklace.) I've been wearing it almost everyday this past year. I was wearing it in Kenya when we saw the lions. It's been a good reminder to me: God is good, but not safe. People who follow Jesus closely will always find themselves in places that don't feel safe. (That's the kind of thing that makes my Mom worry. But she's the one who gave me the necklace. Sorry Mom.) Just like Nicole Nordeman, Jesus makes me want to be brave.

No comments: