Micah 6:8

"...do justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God." - Micah 6:8

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Remember Kenya


Things in Kenya seem to be getting worse, not better. I haven't heard from our friends there in awhile, but I've heard too many bad things on the news. Last night I caught the end of "Out of Africa." We have free HBO for a month and that was one of the movies playing. I've seen the movie before, but in the current context it felt different. The ending, when Karen Blixen leaves Kenya for good, was more heart breaking than I remembered. I felt like I was the one saying goodbye to the Ngong Hills. I'm so sad to think that we might not be able to go back to Kenya this summer, but sadder yet to think of the friends we met there who must deal everyday with this newly exposed instability. As if poverty alone wasn't enough.


I am comfortable and safe, but I don't think of myself as "rich." I think of Oprah as rich. But, of course, Oprah is something far beyond rich. The discrepancies in life still take my breath away. Who is accountable for them? How did we get here?


No comments: