Micah 6:8

"...do justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God." - Micah 6:8

Monday, February 9, 2009

A Summer Without Africa

For the past three years Rick and I have had the blessing of spending 3-4 weeks of the summer in Africa. But this year Rick will be taking his bar exam in late July, so because of that and some other circumstances we will not be able to continue our tradition this summer. I am, however, still sending a team of North Central students to Kenya. I've begun working on a tentative schedule for them and the thought of not participating in the days I'm planning is a little heart breaking. I'm feeling sad and disappointed, not because Africa needs me, but because I need Africa. It has been one of the places where I experience Jesus most intensely and sincerely. I hope that these new life circumstances are only a break from and not an end to our opportunities to travel there. I am so very grateful for all the African people I know and for all they have taught and continue to teach me. Even though I will be home in Illinois this summer, a part of my heart will always be in Africa.

No comments: