Micah 6:8

"...do justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God." - Micah 6:8

Friday, February 15, 2008

Scary Day


Yesterday afternoon just before four o'clock, my father-in-law called me and asked if I had heard anything from my husband. He said that there had been a shooting at NIU where Rick is a law student. He said he had tried to call him, but had not gotten through. I hadn't heard anything. I hung-up right away and tried to send Rick a text. I was feeling a little shaky and having trouble hitting the keys right, so it was taking me a long time just to write a simple line: "Shooting at NIU. R U ok?" While I was trying, he called. He was hunkered down in the law library with his classmates waiting for the all clear signal so he could leave. He was okay. His building was in the general vicinity of the incident, but not close enough to hear or see anything bad. I'm glad the moments of not knowing were so short for me. I can't imagine what parents were feeling who didn't hear from their children right away. Why does this keep happening in our country? Gun violence is so out of control? Some how we have to get a handle on this.

The University is closed today. Rick is at home with two young Burmese refugees who arrived yesterday and are staying with us for a few days. Luckily they don't speak much English so they don't know what happened. Not exactly a great day to welcome folks who have fled from the violence in their own nation to try to find some peace and safety.

Our hearts go out to all the victims and friends and family of those who were killed. And I thank Jesus that my husband is safe.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

I'm so glad Rick was okay! We were thinking about you guys!